IB/M Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions for Prospective IB/M Students and Pre-Education Majors

When can I declare education as my major?

First you must be admitted into the program. Undergraduate students typically apply by January 20 of their sophomore year. Prior to applying, students are usually designated as pre-teaching majors and advised by ACES. However, you can apply to the Neag School of Education with any declared major or as a transfer student.

What are the admission requirements?

  • completed at least 54 appropriate credits by end of spring sophomore year
  • written acceptable essays
  • participated in successful interviews with faculty
  • earned competitive cumulative grade point average

How do I apply?

The application is available online beginning November 1. There are application workshops in November that provide information on the application process. The application must be submitted by January 20.

I am interested in studying abroad. Is this possible?

Pre-teaching students ordinarily study abroad during the spring semester sophomore year. Students apply to IB/M by December 1 and are interviewed prior to going abroad. Students can also study abroad during intersession or summer session. Students enrolled in the IB/M program can apply to study abroad in Cape Town, London, Nottingham or Peru during the fall of their master’s year.

If I am a transfer student, how do I apply?

You must apply to BOTH UConn (by Jan. 15) and the Neag School of Education (by Jan. 20); these are separate applications.

I am currently enrolled at another college or university. How will my courses transfer to UConn?

Students enrolled at colleges outside of Connecticut will have their transcripts evaluated by Transfer Admissions. If you are enrolled at a Connecticut college or university, you can use the Transfer Equivalencies tool to see how your course will transfer to UConn. Read Transferring Credit to UConn for more information on transfer of courses.

Subject area major courses must transfer as upper division courses (2000-level or above at UConn) to be counted toward the major (up to six credits at the 1000-level may count toward the major). Elementary Education and Special Education students who choose concentrations in science or math may include additional 1000-level courses in their concentration.

Do I have to take the Praxis Core before I apply?

No. Students who are admitted to the IB/M program must submit Praxis Core or waiver test scores by August 1 (prior to entering program in junior year).

Where can I find study tips for the Praxis Core?

Test preparation booklets on reducing test anxiety, study tips, and the Top 10 Questions asked by Praxis candidates are available on the ETS website.

How many students do you admit each year?

Up to fifteen of the most qualified applicants in each teaching program area are admitted annually to the Integrated Bachelor’s/Master’s program (IB/M) with the exceptions of forty in Elementary Education, and twenty in Special Education.

Which teacher certification areas do you offer?

Elementary Education, Comprehensive Special Education, English, History & Social Studies, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, General Science, Music (five-year bachelor’s), and World Languages Education (French, German, Mandarin Chinese, Spanish). Please review the program guidelines for more information.

If I am not accepted to the IB/M program what are my other options?

There are many options available to students who are not admitted to the IB/M program. You can continue taking classes in your preferred subject area major and reapply the following year, pursue a postgraduate certification program after you complete your UConn undergraduate degree, or transfer to another college or university. At UConn, your other option is to complete a subject area major and apply to the Teacher Certification Program for College Graduates (TCPCG) after completion of your undergraduate degree. This program is a one-year, 48-credit certification and master’s program offered at our Avery Point, Hartford, and Waterbury campuses. TCPCG only certifies in secondary education (grades 7-12) and Special Education. UConn does not have a graduate certification program in Elementary Education.

How long is the IB/M program?

The program is a three-year program, across six consecutive semesters, beginning with the fall semester. The courses and experiences are highly prescribed and sequential.

Do you offer a four-year teacher certification program?

No. UConn is accredited to offer a five-year Integrated Bachelor’s/Master’s program only.

Which courses are required?

Download the IB/M program guidelines which include a sample semester sequence of the required courses for each major. All IB/M students are required to take US history (HIST 1501 or 1502) and PSYC 1100. Students must also fulfill University general education requirements. Consult the list of approved general education courses and the sample semester sequences when selecting courses.

If I take summer and winter session classes can I finish the program sooner?

No. The education courses are taken in sequence.

Can non-IB/M students take undergraduate teacher education courses?

No. Students must be admitted to the IB/M program to enroll in undergraduate teacher education courses.

Can I minor in teacher education?


Do you certify in Art Education, Physical Education or Early Childhood Education?

No. UConn is not accredited to prepare teachers to be certified in these areas.

Can I get dual certification?

No. UConn is accredited to prepare students for initial certifications in only one content area.

When will I start student teaching?

IB/M students complete five school-based clinic placements: two junior year observation placements (one fall semester, one spring semester), two senior year placements including student teaching (spring semester), and a fifth year internship (full year). Students will have a diversity of placements in our professional development centers.

Where are the clinic placements?

The IB/M program has built working relationships with selected public school districts known as Professional Development Centers (PDC’s). PDC’s comprise elementary, middle, and high schools within each of the following districts: Coventry, East Hartford, Glastonbury, Hartford, Manchester, Mansfield, Windham, Willington, and Windsor.

I would like to do my student teaching in my hometown. Is this possible?

No. Students will be placed in one of our PDC’s.

Where can I get more information?

Program Guidelines (which include Sample Semester Sequences) and Praxis Core requirement information are available online.

Is financial assistance available?

Yes. Financial assistance includes: