Become a Teacher in One Year
The UConn Neag School of Education's Teacher Certification Program for College Graduates (TCPCG) leads to Connecticut Teacher Certification and a Master of Arts degree in just 11 months. Through four consecutive semesters of full-time coursework — Summer Session I, Summer Session II, Fall Semester, and Spring Semester — TCPCG students become teachers who transform their classrooms and their schools to promote a more just and equitable society. They disrupt historic patterns of inequity and help schools become inclusive, engaging, and inspiring spaces where all learners flourish.
Two Pathways, Four Campuses
The TCPCG program is built to fit students' busy lives and schedules, no matter where they work or live. Students can choose either:
- A hybrid in-person/online cohort, based at the UConn Stamford campus. The 2023-2024 course schedule is as follows:
- Summer Sessions I and II: in-person classes 4 days a week, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.; clinical observations 1 day a week
- Fall semester: online classes 3-4 days a week; in-person class 1 Saturday a month; internship, 15 hours a week in a school district
- Spring semester: Online seminar 1 day a week; in-person seminar 1 Saturday a month; 1 online course (special education students only); full-time student teaching
- An in-person cohort, based at either the UConn Hartford, UConn Waterbury, or UConn Avery Point campuses.
- Earn Connecticut Teacher Certification and an MA in Curriculum and Instruction or Educational Psychology (Special Education students)
- Complete the program in 11 months, through 4 consecutive semesters of full-time coursework: Summer Session I, Summer Session II, Fall Semester, and Spring Semester
- Paid internships are available in several school districts. The residency is comprised of 5 days a week in either Bridgeport, Bristol, Fairfield, Hartford, Waterbury, or Waterford, with a minimum of 14 hours per week in your specified content area. The residency program begins in late August and ends in mid-January.
- Choose between hybrid in-person/online or fully in-person cohorts at one of four campuses throughout Connecticut.
Attend an Information Session
We offer virtual information sessions on WebEx as well as in-person sessions at four regional campuses: Avery Point, Hartford, Stamford, and Waterbury.