- Enroll in the Taskstream edTPA program for your Subject Area
- Go to https://login.taskstream.com/signon/ and sign in to Taskstream
- Scroll to the bottom of the page. In the box labeled "Don’t see your program?", click the "Enter Code" button.
- Enter the program code provided by your clinical instructor and click "Search"
- Ensure that the cohort years and concentration are correct, then click "Enroll"
- Follow the Pearson's guide to register for an edTPA account. Ensure that you select the "Integrated edTPA Platform Provider System" option when registering
edTPA Video Information
- Read your edTPA Handbook carefully to note the limits on length of clips and the teaching and learning emphasis for your subject area.
- Obtaining Consent forms from students and other adults who will appear in your video.
- Select a camera and practice recording in advance. Ensure that the audio and video quality on the recording is adequate for evaluation.
- You can use any camera you prefer, including your personal phone, tablet or laptop.
- Using a tripod to hold the camera will allow flexible positioning of the camera and produce better results.
- Review the Video Recording section in edTPA's Making Good Choices support guide:
- Making Good Choices: A Support Guide for edTPA Candidates
- For Special Education: Making Good Choices In Special Education: A Support Guide for edTPA Candidates
- For Elementary Education: Making Good Choices: Addendum for Elementary Education Task 4
After recording your video
The exact process will vary depending on your recording device and your video editing software, but the overall steps will be:
- Import your video recording into the video editing software of your choice.
- Review your video and choose clip(s) that capture the relevant evidence. Review guidance on video clip selection and editing in the Making Good Choices support guide and your edTPA Handbook. Selected video clips must be continuous and unedited, with no interruption in the events. Pay attention to the requirements for content and length in your edTPA handbook.
- Trim the video to the chosen section and save the video clip.
- Compress the video if necessary to meet the 500MB file size limit.
- Upload your video clip to the Taskstream edTPA DRF.
- If you're using an iPad, iPod Touch, or iPhone to record you can edit your video directly on the device using Photos.
- If you're using an Android device you should be able to edit video directly on the device, though the default app and process will vary. You can also import the video from an Android device to Windows or Mac OS to edit the video.
For most video recording devices you can plug the camera into your computer and copy the video files to your computer.
- Use the appropriate cable to connect the camera into your computer.
- The computer should recognize the camera and show it as a connected device / drive.
- Open the camera folder and copy the files from the camera to a local folder on your computer.
If the above options don't work, you may need to import the video into your video editing software.
Photos on Windows 10
- If you were unable to copy the video files above, click Import in the upper right, then click "From a USB Device" and import your video files.
- Click the "Video Projects" tab
- Click "Create a video project"
- Click "Add photos and videos"
- Click "From my collection". Click on your edTPA video and then click "Add".
If the video is not in your collection click cancel, click "Add photos and videos", click "From this PC" and find the video file you saved previously.
- Drag your video to the Storyboard
- Click the "Trim" button at the top of the Storyboard
- Drag the sliders to the start and end of the desired clip, then click "Done"
- Click "Export or share" in the upper right
- Select the smallest size, "S"
Windows Movie Maker on earlier versions of Windows
- In the left pane of Windows Movie Maker, click Import video under the Capture Video section
- Browse to the folder where you saved the video previously, then click Import
- Drag the video to the Storyboard in the bottom of the window.
- Click the Edit tab at the top of the window and click the Trim Tool
- Drag the start and end sliders to select the desired video clip
- Click Save Trim in the bar at the top of the window
- Save the video clip by clicking Save Movie in the Home tab at the top of the window
QuickTime Player on Mac OS
- Open Quick Time Player from your Applications folder
- Click File -> Open File and select the video file you saved previously.
- In the menu at the top of the screen click Edit -> Trim
- The yellow trimming bar appears, with handles on each end. Drag the handles to select the desired video clip.
- Click Trim.
- Save the video clip from the top menu by clicking File -> Save , then enter a name for the video clip.
The maximum file size allowed for an edTPA video clip is 500 MB, if your video is larger than the limit it will need to be compressed. A free open-source program for Windows or Mac OS to accomplish this is HandBrake.
- First, determine the file size for your video clip
- On Windows, right click the file and then click Properties. The file size will be listed in the properties Window.
- On Mac OS right click or two-finger click on the file and then click Get Info. If you are unable to right click, left click the file, then hold the Command Key and press the i key. The file size will be displayed in the pop up window.
- If your file is under 500 MB, you can skip to the Uploading your video section
- If your file is larger than 500 MB, open HandBrake
- You should be prompted to open your video file when starting HndBrake, if not click the "Open Source" button on the toolbar.
- Browse to the video clip you edited and click Open
- Click the "Browse" button next to Destination and select a folder and new name for the compressed video clip (select a different name than the original).
- Under Presets click Web -> Gmail Medium 5 Minutes
- Click the Start or Start Encode button
- This may take a long time to complete, be patient
- Login to Taskstream at https://login.taskstream.com/signon/
- Open the edTPA DRF
- If you don't see the edTPA DRF you will need to subscribe
- Scroll to the bottom of the page, look for the box labeled "Don't see your program?", and click the "Enter Code" button.
- Enter the code provided by your instructor and join the edTPA DRF for your content area.
- In the bar on the left, click the appropriate task to upload your video clips
- In the bar at the top of the task click the blue "Add" button for Videos.
- Select "A video saved on your computer" and click Browse, then select the video clip from the folder you saved it in.
- Click Add File
- If the file fails to upload, verify that the file size of the video you are uploading is lower than the 500 MB limit. Taskstream may fail without any error if the file is too large.
Video Editing Support
If you have problems recording, editing, or uploading your edTPA video, please submit a support request form.